Man's BFF - Emphasis on the Second "F"



So, this isn't design related specifically, but it is related to your home and the beings that inhabit it.

According to an article in the NY Times, apparently, you can now clone your pet so that you can kind of have the "same" dog for your whole life. Like, if you absolutely loved Snuffy 1.0, you can have Snuffy 1.2, Snuffy 1.3, and so on - forever.

I am sure I had heard about this sometime in the past, but this article really brought home the realities of it - what same qualities you can expect, and what differences might surface. For example, waviness of fur is affected by the surrogate carrier of the cloned fetus because of the amount of collagen in the womb.

I don't think I have had any pets I would consider cloning, and I think that even if I do someday, I would look forward to the chance of learning to love another animal, and to saving its life, rather than indulgently creating a clone. Doesn't it ultimately seem somewhat selfish to create another animal when there are so many in the world who need homes?


Comments