Entertaining at Home

I came across a reference to this helpful household post by Maggie Mason on the Real Simple blog.

Basically, Maggie has come up with a foolproof way to be ready in an instant, should an unexpected guest drop by. She stores non-perishable cheese plate items in a jar in the cupboard so they will be at the ready on a moment's notice. Nobody in the household is allowed to raid that jar unless guests are over.

She recommends stocking dark chocolate, an assortment of nuts suitable for guests, some dried fruit, some crystallized ginger... All great ideas.

To that list, I might add:
  • Candied nuts (which I am now only allowing myself to eat among guests, because if I opened the floodgates and let myself eat them alone, it could get dangerous.)
  • A tin of smoked oysters
  • Popcorn (unpopped, to be made on the stove)
  • Peanut m&m's

What else would you keep in your entertaining jar? Post your comment!

As an aside, I was inspired to read the Real Simple blog in the first place because I had interpreted the title of the post as involving keeping your house tidy so that you'd always be ready for guests. I guess it was referring not to being tidy, but rather to being prepared with the correct supplies. I could use a little more encouragement in the "always keeping tidy" arena, so I'm hoping there is some future post on that topic!


Comments