New York Times on Interior Design

In today's Home and Garden section, the New York Times has a couple articles about the changing interior design industry. Many high-end designers are taking on smaller or different types of projects than they typically would, and it's leading to a redefinition of the designer-client interaction.

As an experienced high-end designer, I can identify. With the economy, you have to be flexible in how you offer your services. Instead of my standard full-on design services where I work within the client's budget to select all sorts of furnishings and finishes from trade resources, I've found more clients interested in my consultation services with recommendations on where to purchase products at retail, or a furniture plan service where I help determine layout and let the clients shop for their own furniture, or paint and architectural finish consultations.

I am always on the lookout for new projects, so if you or anyone you know needs some help but have been intimidated by using a designer for something you thought might be too small of a request, drop me a line! I love providing whatever help I can, whether it be a large-scale renovation, selecting window treatments, or even reupholstery of a few chairs.





Comments

Hi Erica!

This is interesting - thanks for putting the link up on facebook. It's nice to 'virtually' see you!

And I love your sense of style - gorgeous pictures. Wish I could enlist you, but even though we did just move, all our decorating is still craigslist and hand-me-downs! Even a new Ikea slipcover feels like an excess right now since my boyfriend is a resident and I'm a non-profit lawyer. (I realize this is just about the lamest catch-up ever, but it's nice to see what you're up to!)

I hope all is well with you,
Anne
Erica Gail LLC said…
Hey Anne,
I had to check your profile to see which Anne this was, but I was glad to find your blog and read it. I realize it's a couple years old, but it was still fun to read. Don't feel bad about not using a decorator - just keep reading my blog and when you do need one someday down the line, give me a call!

Erica