Pillow Chapter Closed


My handiwork in the back, with a cashmere-covered pillow in front (cashmere cover from The Company Store)

I finished sewing all the pillow covers, finally! It is so nice not having white uncovered down inserts all over the house mocking my procrastination.



For the living room, I used a woven camel hair/wool blend that is super-soft for the backs and a Ralph Lauren houndstooth wool for the fronts with a red brush fringe in the seams. Since wool is a natural fiber (my favorite!), it breathes year-round and I don't feel it's inappropriate even with summer coming up.




For all the pillow covers I made, I went two inches smaller than the inserts (for a 20" insert, I sewed an 18" square cover) so that they would be comfortably plump. I went with 50/50 down fill, but I would advise going up even to 70/30 (70% feathers/30% down) for added firmness. The more down, the more loft but that also means they collapse more easily when you lean on them. The 50/50 works well but since the price also goes down as you decrease the down percentage, I'd consider using 70/30 next time possibly.




Check out the concealed zipper - a perfect color match with the trim!

Comments