Andersonville Finds and Adorable Animals

I can't believe this whole week went by so quickly! I have been out enjoying the warm weather, taking long walks and exploring. Today I went to Andersonville, prompted by an article in Chicago Home and Garden, and had some success with antique shopping at Scout and
The Landmark Shops - Andersonville (no website.)


Bedroom Stools

I picked up a pair of stools on approval from Scout. They have been repurposed as stools but in reality, they are marble top side tables that some prior owner made shearling-covered pillow tops for. I plan to use them at the foot of our bed in lieu of a bench. I was worried because the shearling has kind of a yellowish cast rather than being pure white, but once I got them into the room, I realized it was totally fine. It was so nice of them to let me take them on approval (i.e., without paying yet) to see if they worked. I think that got them a sale, pending husband approval.


Powder Room Cabinet

The antiques part of the Landmark Shop is totally hidden in the basement of a gift-y store in the middle of the block somewhere between Foster and Farragut if I remember correctly. Intrigued by the "antiques in basement" sign posted on the door, I checked it out. It isn't big, but I scored a perfect little cabinet for our powder room and a dresser for our bedroom that I plan to put our TV on. The cabinet for the powder room had all the functionality we wanted - it is rustic, has a closed cabinet to hide t.p. and other sundries, and fits perfectly in the space even with the existing towel bar above. We have to go back tomorrow to pick up the dresser because there was nobody to help me carry it.

I also got this month's issue of Met Home today. There is only one resource I really wanted to check out online (I miss Domino, which used to be full of ideas!), but it has adorable stuff. It's Branchhome.com.

The first area I noticed was their "Gifts under $30" area. They have an awesome variety of animal toys that I find impossible to resist. I don't buy stuff like this because if I allowed myself to, my house would soon resemble a zoo. But I do like to window shop and buy for others when appropriate.

I thought maybe my nephew would enjoy this felt stingray.

And I think these penguins are not ideal for kids, but I love them. And you can feel good about buying them, because they are handmade (duh) by a knitting collective in Kenya.



Comments

The new additions over the past week to our place definitely received "husband approval." Funny though, the cabinet for the bedroom, which was supposed to have our TV sit on it, actually prompted us to mount the TV on the wall. I am sure Erica will post some pictures that tell the story...