Rooting through the frou-frou

Horchow can be a great resource if you really dig, but the majority of the site is somewhat pricey, fussy and overly ornamented. My parents used to get the catalog and I remember it from my childhood, but we never ordered anything from them to my knowledge. In any case, it popped into my mind recently and I ventured over to the site to see what they had to offer.


Lo and behold, I ended up finding ridiculously inexpensive dining chairs from them for our dining room. These Sheraton dining chairs are sold as a pair and are now $380 for two, but I got them at 30% off that price during a promotion a week or so ago. I have ordered four pairs.

Now, I know they may look traditional and stuffy to some people, but I think the shape of the back is attractive if you forget about that shiny fabric on them. I plan on dressing them down by recovering them. On the outside backs, I will use a punchy paisley or stripe and perhaps nailhead trim or a flat braid or twill trim around the border. On the inside backs and seats, I plan to use a solid plain woven of some sort. Velvet would go well on these, but I already have velvet sofas in the adjacent living area so we've got to mix it up.

I don't even know what fabric they will show up in, given it is described as "toffee" but the photo clearly shows something that is ivory or white and by no stretch could be described as "toffee." I'm not even harboring any hope that it might be something I actually like. For $133 per chair, I'm just happy to get the frames.


Comments