Cool Earthy Rugs

My in-laws were in town and we went wandering around on Lincoln up in Lakeview yesterday in search of home furnishings finds. We found a few antique shops and a few furniture shops with a lot of contemporary pieces.

My favorite discovery though were these rugs - the company is called "Mat - The Basics" and it is sold at Rubin's furniture .


I was first intrigued by this flatwoven wool rug with strips of felt woven in. The whole feel is very handmade and earthy. Rubin's furniture had the red and orange colorway hanging in the shop, which I liked, but after seeing the other colors in the catalog I'm drawn to the brown version, which also has orange felt strips woven through.
I asked if I could see the catalog for the manufacturer, which is always a good idea if you like something at a furniture showroom. They can almost never display an entire collection on their floor and if you like one piece, it's probable that there are others you'll like as well and the store can order them for you. This was certainly the case here, because I fell in love with this primitive looking flatwoven wool rug called "Valparaiso".

You can't see the detail as well on the website as you can in the catalog, which is unfortunate. If you want to see the catalog, go to Rubin's!

Finally, there is a rug I saw on the website that is handtufted, not flatwoven, and the pattern is great. I am a sucker for these ambiguously-ethnic-type things. I worry they're getting a little played out, but in moderation I still think they're just objectively pleasing.

This one's called "Alhambra."



Comments